Santa Fe College hosts a delegation of 16 visiting higher education officials representing every province in South Africa, who will
This course is an introduction to African Humanities. It draws from interdisciplinary sources to examine the geographic continent called ‘Africa’ and the complex cultural systems, political structures, religious practices, economic arrangements, social relationships, and histories shared by the diverse populations of people connected to Africa.
Goals in this Course
- recreate physical, political and social maps of Africa
- identify archaeological histories of Africa and the development of African civilizations
- recognize the colonial and post-colonial relationships that position Africa in the Modern World System
- situate 21st century challenges and experiences within their specific socio-historical contexts
- demonstrate the complexity and diversity of African cultures, societies and people
- present African social and cultural phenomena in an intellectual and academic context.
Begin with Constructing Africa.